Last updated: January 4th, 2017
If you are looking to purchase a CPAP machine without going through a durable medical equipment supplier, I will help you find the best CPAP machine for the money. Depending on what kind of features and price range you're looking for, you have several different options. In this article, I will provide CPAP machine reviews and explain the features for each one.
There are many factors to take into consideration before buying a CPAP machine. What is your price range? What features are important to you? How quiet is it? Does it have a humidifier? In this review of the best CPAP machines, I'll cover each of these issues to help you make the best choice.
ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP Machine
The best CPAP machine on the market today is the Airsense 10. It comes in several different sub-models, with the most popular version being the AirSense 10 AutoSet model. It is one of the most feature-rich models and includes Climate Line Air tubing and a humidifier. This is currently the most prescribed CPAP machine by sleep doctors.
Key features include:
- ClimateLineAir tube compatibility - This feature allows you to set the temperature of the air in the tube for comfort and to reduce "rain out", which is too much condensation forming in the tube.
- AutoRamp - If you have trouble falling asleep with your prescribed pressure setting, the AirSense 10 can ramp up your pressure anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes, helping you fall asleep comfortably.
- SmartStart technology - The machine is always in a stand-by mode and will turn on after you take you first breath.
- Expiratory Pressure Relief - This is a fancy way of saying it's easier to exhale while maintaining your prescribed level of pressure during inhalation.
- Sleep Dashboard - The ResMed Airsense 10 gathers your sleep data and charts it online, so you can see how well you slept the last two weeks. Go to https://myair.resmed.com for more information.
- Great feature set improves comfort
- Lots of humidity customization options
- Detailed sleep reports
- Color LED menu improves usability
- Two-year warranty from date of purchase
- Menu isn't the easiest to navigate
ResMed also released a unique version called the AirSense 10 For Her. Sleep apnea pressure settings can sometimes be different for females, so the For Her model uses a new algorithm to optimize the airflow pressure for women. Besides the algorithm change, the color scheme is more appealing with a refreshing white color and flower theme, plus the LCD menu background is a light purple instead of blue.
Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP
The DreamStation Auto is another top rated CPAP machine. It has a sleek and slim design that makes it easy to travel with.
Also offered with a humidifier and heated tube, the DreamStation allows you to remove the humidifier if you do not want to use it. This helps save a lot of time on cleaning, but it might lower your comfort and cause your nose to become dry and irritable.
To see a 360-degree view of the DreamStation Auto CPAP, view this on Philips Respironics website.
- Automatic Pressure - Auto-adjusts your pressure settings to the lowest pressure, while still treating your sleep apnea.
- Two-stage air filtration system - Provides cleaner air directly to your lungs
- Intuitive menu design for easy use
- 180 degree rotating hose attachment
- Smaller and lighter than AirSense 10 - Easier to travel with, especially if you do not take the humidifier container.
- Cheaper than AirSense 10
- Auto pressure setting
- Lighter and smaller
- Easier to travel with
- Not as easy to clean
DreamStation CPAP Pro
The biggest difference between the DreamStation Pro and the DreamStation Auto is the CPAP Pro is a fixed pressure machine. It has the ability for you to trial the auto adjusting pressure feature, but this trial is limited to a few days, set by your physician. Other than that, it is basically the same model, but it comes in at a cheaper price point. This is a good option if you are looking for a good feature set without the high price tag.
- CPAP Mode - Delivers constant level of continuous pressure to fix your sleep apnea
- C-Flex - Relieves pressure when you exhale, increasing comfort
- Cheapest option that still offers great comfort features
- C-Flex pressure relief
- Great value
- Less options than DreamStation Auto
Apex XT Fit - Cheapest CPAP Machine
If you're looking to get CPAP therapy at the lowest price, the XT Fit is the most inexpensive CPAP machine for you. It is the definition of no-frills, and that is exactly what Apex Medical is trying to deliver. It is very compact, only about the size of your hand, making it a great CPAP machine for traveling.
With the power supply built in, you can move it around all at once; you don't have to deal with a bunch of other moving parts. You have the option of adding a humidifier if you wish, but it is not a requirement. The XT Fit has an auto ramp setting, so you'll be able to reach your necessary pressure in comfort.
- Whisper Quiet - Only 28 dB, which is close to a whispering level
- Compact - About the size of your hand
- Built-In Power Supply - One less thing to carry while traveling
- Ramp Starting Pressure - Easier to fall asleep
- Cheapest CPAP
- Weighs less than two pounds
- Menu isn't the easiest to navigate
HDM Z1 CPAP - Best Travel CPAP Machine
The Z1 is the smallest CPAP machine. Weighing only 9.8 ounces, it is by far the best option for traveling. It comes available in several models: the Z1, Z1 Unplugged, Z1 Auto, and an accessory called the PowerShell.
With the Z1 Unplugged and PowerShell, it is battery powered, so you can take it anywhere with you. It is able to provide eight hours of CPAP therapy without needing to be plugged in. It is also one of the quietest CPAP machines, operating at only 26 dB.
- Smallest CPAP Machine - Fits in your hand, travel bag, suitcase easily.
- PowerShell - Allows for at least eight hours of CPAP therapy without being plugged in
- Very Quiet - Only 26 dB.
- Auto ramp and exhalation pressure relief
- Smallest and lightest CPAP Machine
- Ability to be completely cordless
- Great for travelers and campers
- Three-year warranty from date of purchase
- Z1 Unplugged option is expensive
Best CPAP Machine Conclusion
To find the best CPAP machine, you need to examine the features you are looking for. The list above contains all of the top CPAP machines in their respective categories. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below.